Hello and Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm currently working as a Fundraising Advisor in Chipata for a small community-based organisation called Chipata Dzithandizeni Nutrition Group, based in the Eastern Province of Zambia.

It's a role I gained through Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) and I'm hoping to share my experiences of Zambian culture with you through this site.

I'm lucky to be working with some amazing colleagues and the community, sharing skills in order to generate income and resources to support the work of the the Nutrition Group. The Group is situated in Kapata township right in the heart of Chipata and its focus is to provide nutritional support to vulnerable children and adults in the urban and rural areas of Chipata.

Before this, I had never been to Zambia, slept under a mosquito net or even accepted a job without meeting any of my colleagues first, so as you can imagine it was a bit of a risk! I'm grateful to VSO for all their support in preparing me for all the challenges! I'm hoping that with some fun and hard work along the way, I'll look back and think that every minute was worth it.

If you like, you can see where Chipata is by clicking on the map on the right. Also feel free to click on the Zambia Country profile to learn more about this stunning country. Take a browse through my blog and feel free to post me any messages along the way!

Please remember that all the views within this blog do not represent the views of VSO or Chipata Nutrition Group.

Thanks,
Sarah

Friday, 21 January 2011

Chipata Dzithandizeni Nutrition Group

Making the decision to return back to work was a difficult one. Leaving friends and family behind again to venture back into a life which was abruptly interuptted by sad news, was so difficult but somehow deep down I knew that I had to carry on and see it through.

When I arrived in Chipata, my colleagues from the Nutrition Group came out on force to visit me and welcome me back to the community. One visit from the Chairperson had brought the good news that the proposal I had been working on with them over the last year had achieved some success. A grant for the repairs to the grinding mill had been deposited in the account and work was to begin at the centre to get the mill up and running.

Grinding mills are a necessity in Zambia. With Maize being the staple crop of most of Sub-Saharan Africa, thousands of kilograms of Maize are sent to grinding mills daily for grinding into the popular maize mealie-meal which is the key ingredient for porridge and nshima. Soya beans are also ground to make HEPS (High-energy protein supplements).

With the mill up and running at the Nutrition Group, it will provide a market for local farmers and a service to the community, which at the moment does not have a grinding mill in the area of Kapata. Profits from its service will be used to sustain the work of the Nutrition group and allow them to provide much needed food supplements to orphans and vulnerable children. It was such welcome news for 2011 and thank you to ZOA UK and ZOA Zambia (Zambia Orphans of AIDS) for their financial contribution to this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment